Friday, July 1, 2011

A little R&R with family

I'm sitting in Steve's folks' sun room in the lake house on Lake 15 (which is, of course, near lakes 14 and 16 here in Minnesota.) A couple of red-headed woodpeckers are fighting over the suet cake hanging from a wide-leaved tree outside. I never was very good at identifying trees -- I know weeping willow, apple, pine...it's kind of like how I am with cars. I know a Corvette when I see one, and trucks are easy. The finer points of trees and cars elude me, although I'm happy when they shade me or take me places.

We brought Graham's friend, Zac along on our trip. He has never been farther north than Washington D.C., and I think he likes it here, although he's been kind of wide-eyed and quiet. He's been to "the big city" of Fargo a couple of times. We visited the Fargo Zoo on Wednesday and were able to pet some goats, llamas and horses. And we just had lunch at Zorbaz, a fantastic hippie-type pizza and Mexican food joint where you are allowed to write on the tables and walls, the cups are all plastic, and the nachos come heaping with chicken and beef, red onions, jalapenos, sour cream, cheese, black olives, re-fried beans and best of all: fresh cilantro.

Steve and I golfed 18 holes this morning in Hawley, Minnesota, with his uncle Lonnie. Although my mother has always been a stickler for the rules of golf, and although I was raised playing a lot of it (and even was on the golf team in high school), Steve and I don't believe in keeping score or being too uptight about any of it. If he hits the ball in the rough, he just kicks it back out. And if I duff one off the tee-box, I just tee up another one. It's more fun to play when you're not keeping score. That way, we tend to just remember the good shots, and forget the bad ones.

It's always nice to spend time with family, and this visit, so far, has been relaxing and happy. Harrison went and got his hair cut really short -- and now I can see his eyes! Graham is very proudly teaching Zac about the finer point of mid-western living. And Steve is getting a nice tan from all of his time in the boat and on the golf course.

I forget how necessary it is to re-charge now and again. I'll be back at soon renewed and ready to work, design and pack orders. But for this weekend, I'm going to be laughing with family, eating good food, spending time outside, and sleeping in a little. Ain't it grand?

Hope your weekend is sensational.

5 comments:

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Ohhh Theresa Sounds so wonderful !!! I know it is cooler up there! I is hot here in Bama!! Sounds like you are having a great time! Enjoy the 4th!!!

Ruth said...

Enjoy your time. You have given me a sever case of envy over your woodpecker porch time.

diamondc said...

Theresa: I am in Annandale Minn. it has been awful here I hope the weather up where you are is much better, trees down and terrible wind.
I love woodpeckers, they are so much fun to watch.
It is so important to spend time with family I do wish more people would.
Thank-you for all your beautiful patterns and a lovely blog site.
Catherine

Sherry :o) said...

Enjoy your weekend Theresa! I will be on the other side of Minnesota soon...I hope you get lots of time with your family, stitching and hanging out doing fun things! Received my fob "navy bean" yesterday - really a nice color!

Nancy said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Enjoy your holdiday!